Currently in: Melbourne, Australia // email@example.com //
+61 409 143 387 // Skype: alana.holmberg
Alana Holmberg (b. 1983) is an emerging Australian photographer known for her emotive portraiture and multimedia projects. To date, her independent work has explored the experiences of women in relation to family, feminism and body image -- investigations that continue to inform and challenge her own identity.
Alongside nuanced concepts, Alana’s images embody a lyrical and serene aesthetic. Empathy, subtly and vulnerability — both in process and visual outcome — thread her photographic projects, as does her curiosity with how audiences access and interact with visual stories. This interest forms the foundation of her ongoing experimentations with sound, moving image, performance and new technologies.
Alana joined Australia-based photography collective Oculi in 2016 and is also a proud member of Women Photograph. In her freelance assignments, she works with non profit organisations to produce contemporary storytelling outcomes online.
Alana teaches private workshops in visual storytelling, is a tutor at Photography Studies College (PSC) in Melbourne, and provides communications consulting and copywriting services to photography-related organisations, events, initiatives and festivals.
EDUCATION & WORKSHOPS
- 'Do It With Photobooks, Do It Yourself With Others' Workshop, Corinne Noordenbos & Fiore Pinna, Zagreb (2017)
- Diploma of Advanced Visual Storytelling, Danish School of Media and Journalism, Aarhus (2015)
- The Eye of Thought' Workshop, Aveek Sen & The Lighthouse, Calcutta (2014)
- Bachelor of Arts (Photography), RMIT University, Melbourne (2014)
- Bachelor of Arts (Public Relations), RMIT University, Melbourne (2004)
AWARDS & ACHIEVEMENTS
- Nominee, World Press Photo 6x6 Global Talent Program, 2017
- Finalist, William and Winifred Bowness Photography Prize, 2017
- Highly Commended, Maggie Diaz Photography Prize, 2017
- Finalist, Organ Vida International Photography Festival, 2017
- Finalist, National Photography Portrait Prize, 2017
- Recipient, The Pool Grant, 2016
- Semifinalist, HeadOn Photo Festival Portrait Prize, 2016
- Finalist, LUMIX Festival of Young Photojournalism, 2014
- Finalist, HeadOn Photo Festival Multimedia Prize, 2014
- Speaker, TedxManly, 2014
EXHIBITIONS & BOOKS
- Resist Laughter, Screenings Program at Museum of Contemporary Art Zagreb, Organ Vida Photography Festival, 2017
- Resist Laughter, solo show at Special Group Studios, Feature Exhibition at HeadOn Photography Festival, Sydney, 2017
- Where I Lay My Head, #Dysturb group show at Hillvale Gallery, Melbourne 2017.
- Crossover Web Documentary Festival, Denmark, 2016
- Family.Life, Syracuse University and Alexia Foundation Project, USA, 2015
- LUMIX Festival for Young Photojournalism, Multimedia Finalists Group Show, Hannover, 2014
- HeadOn Photography Festival, Multimedia Prize Finalists, Group show at Brenda May Gallery, Sydney, 2014